It’s pumpkin season! Skip the sugary inflaming pumpkin “treats” this year. (Is it really a treat if it makes you feel terrible?) Enjoy these delicious healthy pumpkin recipes instead!
Pumpkin is such a healthy food, it is absolutely packed with immune-boosting vitamins (like Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E!), antioxidants, fiber and potassium! I want to share not just one, but TWO wonderful pumpkin recipes that use every single part of the pumpkin so you don’t miss out on a single health benefit that this nutritional powerhouse has to offer.
To start, enjoy this delicious Pumpkin Soup with Garlic Pesto! It is a comforting and savory soup that will warm you through and nourish your body with roasted pumpkin and healthy fats. You can give this recipe an extra nutritional boost by using bone broth instead of plain chicken broth!
Pumpkin Soup with Garlic Pesto
- 1 Large pumpkin, cut in half and remove seeds.
- 4 Small pumpkins to use as bowls
- 1 Tbs. avocado oil
- 6 Tbs. Kerrygold salted butter
- 2 Shallots, chopped
- 1 Tsp. thyme, chopped
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 1 Tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. pure, organic maple syrup
- 1 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut large pumpkin in half and place on baking stone.
- Rub halves with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil & roast for 45 minutes.
- Add pumpkin to a food processor and puree with 1 cup of chicken broth, until completely smooth.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add butter and shallots, saute 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add thyme, pumpkin puree, chicken broth, coconut milk, cayenne, nutmeg, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring soup to a low simmer and leave for 15-20 minutes.
FOR PUMPKIN BOWLS: Open pumpkins and remove seeds. Rub inside of each pumpkin with avocado oil and salt and pepper. Place on baking stone and bake for 20-30 minutes, until soft but not collapsing.
ASSEMBLE: Ladle the pumpkin soup into your pumpkin bowls and top with a dollop of your favorite organic garlic pesto!
BONUS RECIPE! Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Seeds leftover from pumpkin carving and cleaned
- 1 Tsp. seasoned salt or smoked salt
- 1 Tsp. avocado oil
- 1/4 Tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Allow your seeds to soak in water for 30 minutes, drain them and then place them in a pot with water and sea salt. Allow seeds to boil for 10 minutes.
- Once boiled, place your seeds in a large bowl and toss them with avocado oil and seasoned or
- Once coated, lay the pumpkin seeds out on a rectangular baking stone and place them in the oven. Be sure to keep an eye on them, moving them or turning them every 8 minutes to ensure they don’t burn. The seeds should be perfectly roasted after 40 minutes or once they are no longer soft.