Healthy substitutions are offered for this garden pasta salad to help us think about how to look at recipes and consider healthier options.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 12 min
- 2 cups – (8oz) uncooked rotini pasta
- 1 1/2 cups – small broccoli flowerettes, optional
- 1 cups – diced tomato
- 1 – small thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cups – chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cups – chopped red onion (optional)
- – whole black olives
- 1/4 cups – (1oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cups – Red Wine Vinegar Salad dressing
- 1 teaspoons – dry mustard (or less to taste)
- 1 – pressed garlic clove
Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse pasta, drain and cool. Place cooked pasta in Batter Bowl with remaining salad ingredients. In separate bowl, whisk dressing ingredients with the 10-inch Whisk until smooth and slightly thickened. Pour over salad and toss lightly to combine. Cover and chill before serving. Serve salad using 3-Way Tongs.
1. Omit the pasta!!! You probably wouldn’t even miss it, if you hadn’t seen it in the ingredients. You could add some cauliflower, or serve the whole salad over a bed of greens. Or, if you want to splurge and use pasta, be sure it’s whole grain. I recommend Tinkyada, which I order from iHerb.com
2. Make your own red wine vinegar salad dressing, including dry mustard and fresh garlic.